Re: [OM] Bad vibes in 35mm systems

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad vibes in 35mm systems
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:16:02 -0800 (PST)
John, I agree with you as a practical matter and in
the way I shoot macro. But not the argue, the angle of
view with a 100mm macro is much the same whether at
1:2 or portrait distances. I think my problem may be
that I hardly ever shoot in bright light at macro
distances and also I'm always trying for f11 or f16
for depth of field purposes. Using the sunny 16 rule,
that would put me at 1/125 or 1/60 with Velvia but
with any diminution at all in light, I drop below the
safe zone.

Warren

--- "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 05:49 3/8/02, you wrote:
> >Brian and all, Hi,
> >I never understood the problems involved in why it
> is
> >difficult to get sharp macro images as compared to
> >other regular images. Shouldn't it all be dependent
> on
> >the angle of view and not how "macro" it is?
>
> No.
> It is magnification, not focal length that causes
> problems with "camera
> shake" when doing macros.
>
> In non-macro situations, the longer the lens the
> greater the
> magnification.  Longer lens also means greater
> magnification in macros, but
> it's also much greater magnification than non-macro
> with the same lens
> length from extremely close subject distance.
>
> The "rule of thumb" regarding focal length and
> shutter speed is presumptive
> that focus and subject distance is at non-macro
> distances.

=====
Warren Xato

For where to go when you know when