Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia - was: 350mm f2.8
From: "Steve" <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:09:34 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tris Schuler" <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Look, Steve, I've had hard a night on the road. so I'll give you the short
> version.
>
> I don't use Velvia. In fact it's been years since I shot any chromes at
> all.

Please refer to my previous correspondence re. uninformed comments.

I use negative emulsions for the reason I prefer to work primarily in
> the street and there's no way that suits slide film--I need film that can
> take it, film that has wide latitude. I don't have time to worry about
> critical exposure when I'm jostling through crowds, in and out of shade
and
> light, on the road at night and all that.

Personally, I care more about getting the image right on the right medium
rather than what is the most convienient or user friendly. If it's ease of
use you want, ever tried using a Kodak disposable?

> As for underexposing and whatnot: I suspect many (if not most) Velvia
> images were underexposed somewhat, an old story for chromes.
>
> >Velvia is probably the very best film for colour reproduction work in
> >magazines for all subjects, but particularly nature, landscape and fine
> >detail work.
>
> I don't care what is and what is not used in magazines any more than I
care
> what network television is doing these days (whatever that could be--I
> never watch it)

You seem to care enough to make your rather bold statements about it.

 any more than I care what Mrs. Smith in Omaha thinks or
> likes and wants to drive with four wheels tomorrow. The opinion I offered
> was mine and it has nothing (necessarily) to do with mass media or mass
> markets or the same-same Smiths of this world who make those other things
go.

> >To describe this fine film as 'mediocre' probably says more about the
user
> >than the film.
>
> Maybe it does at that. My opinion often walks alone.
>
> >All films from Fuji, Kodak, Ilford and most of Agfa are truly excellent,
but
> >it is a case of horses for courses, you must use the right product for
the
> >job.
>
> All films from Fuji, Kodak are Ilford are _not_ excellent.

Would you like to tell us which of the Fuji, Kodak and Ilford products you
do not consider to be excellent?

I doubt if most
> films from Agfa are, but then I steer clear of that manufacturer based on
> the results I've seen . . . which have not been mostly excellent.

Agfa make some superb 120 negative film.