[OM] RE: Velvia... (isn't this fun?)

Subject: [OM] RE: Velvia... (isn't this fun?)
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:35:20 -0000
Hey Steve, Tris, put the sticks away!

Tris is a man of strong but consistent opinions, I don't think insulting him
is going to do any good ;-)

If you take offence at him slagging Velvia, take this: I think it's worse
than mediocre. IMHO.

I have seen good shots taken with it (mostly on MF, but Graham Watson has
taken one or two half-decent cycling shots with it). But I know that herd of
Highland Cattle at Taynuilt and I know the road and that spot quite well.
This photograph does not represent anything like what I see when I go there,
even on nice sunny evenings in summer. I've never seen Irish Setters that
colour, never mind a heelan' coo!

<Ahem>

I've always had a bit of a problem with the greens and reds in Fuji
emulsions, which they now seem to have extended to other parts of the colour
range. Everyone is at it now, this lunge for deeply unrealistic saturation.
I expect it will eventually go the way of scarlet formica kitchens... (no
offence to anyone, I hope).

Maybe the Provia stuff is OK, I've liked quite a few shots I've seen made
with that. I'm still lamenting the demise of K25 (I have 10 rolls in the
freezer...) and hope that K64 will keep going as long as I do.

E6? Like I said, processing is the problem, and the search continues...

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk