Re: [OM] OM OT "The LOOK"

Subject: Re: [OM] OM OT "The LOOK"
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 21:34:59 -0500
At 15:02 3/9/02, Paul Wallich wrote:

Of course, I'm probably biased because here it's usually my spouse who
says, "Wow, that looks really good, let's make a big print and frame it."
But really, when you wonder why people say misogyny is still rampant...

My "Other Half" encouraged entering juried shows, told me about the local university extension gallery and encouraged inquiring about their "local artist spotlight" section. We also have a long hallway which is mine to use as a gallery for large prints. The cost of large prints for exhibition is high and we discussed how to do it by spreading it out over a number of months. It's a major reason I haven't pursued it at "flank speed" and scheduling it for September has been a win-win-win for me, the gallery and our cash flow.

Telling her about the September exhibit resulted in one of her "The Other L@@Ks" because she almost always sees every frame I shoot: The Good, the Bad and The Ugly. It means: "I know where all the dings, dents, brassing, oily aperture blades and cleaning marks are." After 20 years of living together, it only takes a "look" and there's a lot of communication that goes unspoken. I get one of those when it's time to reel in the tether, bring me back to Earth, and reunite me with the rest of the mortal human race.

OTOH I know at least five minutes in her next phone call to her parents [tomorrow] will be spent telling them about it. When it goes up in September, she will be there with her camera trying to figure out how to get a snapshot of me "hugging" the exhibit; it *will* go into the family photo album [of which she is Publisher and Editor in Chief] so she can show it to anyone who will sit long enough to look at it.

BTW, she does photo albums; I do slide shows. It has worked out *much* better that way. We're both "first born" and we both know it would be absolutely disastrous to ever attempt hanging wallpaper together.

-- John