Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?

Subject: Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:52:44 -0500
My 300/4.5 has a LH knob, my 400/6.3 a RH knob.  I bought both
from B&H around 1984, the 300 new, the 400 used, a demo, so it's
older, but not so old as to be a silver nose.  It does have the
old-style metal screw-on lens cap.  The collar on my 65-116
telescopic extension tube has a LH knob.

Since I almost always use a motor drive, the RH knob on the 400
made it a bit crowded on that side of the camera, so I took the
thing off and turned it around.  Now the knob's on the left, but
the foot faces rearward, which is of little or no consequence
compared to the aggravation, if that's what it amounts to, of a
wrong-sided knob.  Besides, with the extra weight of the motor
drive on the back end, I think it may actually improve the balance
of the setup on the tripod.

Walt Wayman