[OM] Handedness of tripod ring

Subject: [OM] Handedness of tripod ring
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:18:56 -0600

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:52:44 -0500
Walt Wayman wrote:

From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?

<snip>
Since I almost always use a motor drive, the RH knob on the 400
made it a bit crowded on that side of the camera, so I took the
thing off and turned it around. Now the knob's on the left, but
the foot faces rearward, which is of little or no consequence
compared to the aggravation, if that's what it amounts to, of a
wrong-sided knob. Besides, with the extra weight of the motor
drive on the back end, I think it may actually improve the balance
of the setup on the tripod.

<Snip>

It looks to me like the ring is not really symmetrical - the little pin that rides in a groove in the lens body is not centered fore-and-aft in the ring... which is why I had a hard time removing the ring, which came to me with the ring reversed so that the knob was on the left... as noted, it goes on and off easily with the knob on the right. I also use a winder most of the time on my 2S and 4T, and as yet the knob doesn't seem to get in the way, and the position relative to the body when rotated 90 degrees for vertical shots seems better.

All very interesting........

Curt