Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?

Subject: Re: [OM] Left and Right Handed Tripod Rings?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:21:16 -0500
At 10:35 3/10/02, Joel Wilcox wrote:

Make sure you focus at the long end and then zoom out. It is not meant to be constant going in the other direction, as I understand it.

Joel W.

It's been my experience limited by the two zooms I've owned (and only have one of them now):

The most accurate method for checking focus shift on a zoom is critically focusing at the longest focal length and then pulling back to the shortest length. It is inherently easier to focus at long end with the reduced depth of field.

In going the other direction, from shorter to longer lengths, any evaluation is confounded with greater difficulty in focusing as accurately at the short end. Minor errors due to this and the greater depth of field will be magnified when the lens is zoomed to its longest length. The greater the magnification range of the zoom, the greater the potential for this confounding effect.

-- John