Re: [OM] 0.42X adaptor - was Unknown lens free.

Subject: Re: [OM] 0.42X adaptor - was Unknown lens free.
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:55:12 +1100
>> auxiliary lens for either a video or digital camera.  What is says on
>> the front is DIAMOND VISION Super Wide AF Macro 0.42X Made in Japan.  It is
>> threaded on the back and also has a threaded ring on the front.  It doesn't
>> seem to have any scratches although there is a little dust on the interior.
>> Rear thread appears to be a 49 mm.   Bill Barber
>>

>Bill, you might keep this... I was just looking at Roger Wesson's great
>pictures, and some of them were using just such a 'wide adapter' on a 28mm
>to create a full circle fisheye effect, and he says that with a 50mm you get
>a full-frame fisheye (with some darkening of the corners). All his pictures
>are just fabulous, and he sure gets to some very interesting places!
>
>Until I get the fungus-damaged fisheye lenses I have fixed, I think
>something like this could be useful for those times when the 18/3.5 just
>isn't wide enough... although I'm thinking of getting a Voigtlander and
>their 12mm or 15mm lens to combine with my other LTM stuff. How are you
>fixed for fisheyes?
>Jim Brokaw

I tried this with video cam adaptors without much luck. The wide adaptors
to produce a fisheye look are the old Spiratone type and crop up on ebay
occasionally - I think Cambridge camera still sell them under their own
Cambo brand, if you've got the nerves of steel apparently needed to deal
with them. Rear thread is usually Series 7.
The video/digicam types simply produce a wider view on a standard lens,
usually with some slight barrel distortion, and simply vignette on a wide
angle without creating a nice fisheye effect. They are, after all, designed
to convert a standard 50ish lens to a 35ish wide, just as the supplementary
lenses were for the old Yashica Electro GT's and they do that well. Alas,
just too well corrected. (at least, all the ones I tried).
The 15mm Heliar is a stunner, as is the 21mm Skopar  you won't regret
those. I looked at the 12mm yesterday for the first time - eeeeek! Saving,
saving........
AndrewF