Re: [OM] OM OT "The LOOK"

Subject: Re: [OM] OM OT "The LOOK"
From: wavegirl <wavegirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:02:20 +0000
Well you can hit the same chord with any subgroup. Women think they are put
down, volunteers on a kibbutz feel they are put down, boarding school kids
think they are put down, Asians feel they are put down, etc. I can hit a
chord in any group to which I belong because the need to complain and
commiserate is universal.

I haven't read the book you've suggested, though I've seen some of the
lectures by the author when aired on TV. It seemed like a lot of stating the
obvious. That men and women are different isn't really a shock. When people
start to think for themselves regardless of their gender (or any other
subgroup they identify with), that will be the shocker.

I also noticed on the list that some people thought what you said was
borderline misogynistic. Me, I don't care, I don't believe extrapolating a
few personal experiences into a men's thing or a women's thing. It's
tantamount to Ali G's responding to criticism with "Is it coz I is black?"

And good luck with your protests. When you get 60 cents on the dollar for
equal work invite me to the rally, I'll be the front row to disagree with
the treatment of men.

I honestly wish to carry this discussion no further, I'm not really
interested in the men's movement or women's movement unless it's interesting
to photograph.

Lisa