Re: [OM] chemical prints from digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] chemical prints from digital images
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:51:03 +0100
Hi John,

I've tried that several times. There is one processor (JapanPhoto) here in
Aalborg, Denmark, who prints digital files on an Agfa Dmax machine. I don't
know exactly, but I think this machine is about to take over the market for
normal prints. The price is the same whether I want a print from a neagive or
from a file. You can email files (smaller than 5 MB, however) to the processor
and get it the next morning. If you are in a hurry, they'll print your file
within a quarter of an hour.

Quality is not always good - can be pretty unsharp and is varying a lot. They
even can't give you information about the best dpi for your print size. And the
process adds a slight blue cast to your images.

Another service is FujiColor orderIT. A terminal in a shop with variour card
readers and a CD drive allows the customer to put the files into the system.
Don't do that with a TIFF file of 27 MByte. It'll make the machine very slow. I
found orderIT's quality better, comparable with normal prints. It takes about
3-4 weekdays to get your images back.

A pro lab nearby has the same service but for pro prices. But they know enough
about image manipulation to adjust sharpness, resolution and fine colour
adjustments.

A great benefit is the full control over the picture. As all the colours,
curves and histograms are adjusted in Photoshop, all the printer has to to is
put the digital data onto the paper. It is also fast. I do not consider a good
printer as long there is such a service available. As their quality improves, I
don't think I'll ever try bubblejet printers.

Best regards

Bernd