Re: [OM] diffraction, apertures, f-stops, extension revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] diffraction, apertures, f-stops, extension revisited
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:11:06 +0100
On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 05:58:10PM -0600, Dean C. Hansen wrote:
> Hello OM'ers,

 Whatever, I took a series
> of shots of the same region on a butterfly wing, using a series of
> f-stops:  f2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, and 8.
>     The results at f2 were really pretty good.  At f2.8, depth of field
> increased slightly, but my subjective evaluation of resolution was that
> it did not change.  At f4, however, wow!  Image quality took a real
> nose-dive.  This deterioration continued to increase at f5.6 and f8.  At
> f8, I was back to the results of my first attempts:  really soft images,
> as though my plane of focus was above or below the subject.  But it
> wasn't.  The sculpturing on the individual scales was easy to compare in
> the different prints, and the winner (with no hanging chards or possible
> non-payer) was clearly  f2.8.  This is what Frieder and Chris predicted.

Wow, I didn`t expect such a hard division. The writer of my book explicit
encouraged to give smaller appertures a try. Because scientific
calculations shouldn`t be hard limits for creative photography.

Anyway, this really demonstrates why Olympus replaced the old
3.5/20mm Macro with a new fast F2-version.

Frieder Faig