[OM] A Whole Bunch of Stuff...Volume II

Subject: [OM] A Whole Bunch of Stuff...Volume II
From: "Josh Lohuis" <josh1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:37:45 -0600
Hello Everyone,

    I just got back from Ottawa, I thought I would relay what transpired
while I was in my Nation's Capitol.  I took shot only four rolls of film,
mostly really early in the morning.  I thought that I would burn film like a
shutter-happy 12 year old school girl in a Disney land (she wouldn't have an
OM though...maybe just an Oly point & shoot).  Am I realizing that quality
is better than quantity?  I know that I didn't get shots that were that
great. I will have to wait a week to get back the results, so we'll see how
good my picture taking is.  I am just worried that something is wrong with
me.  Four days in a city 20 times larger than mine, and only 4 rolls?
What's wrong with me?

   The next order of business is my purchases.  I bought a 135 2.8 from
another list member (it is a Sigma) for $100CAN, and I bought a 200 f/4
Zuiko for $130CAN.  I have a few questions.  The 200 is a silvernose, but
the reflections are green and purple.  Can a silver nose be MC? S/N 156873 I
didn't know that the silver nose(s) of that lens would look so good on an
all black body.  Another thing I would like to ask about is image quality.
Is a Zuiko really that much better than something else.  I have heard some
people say they even prefer a Tamron over the Zuiko's.  Is this more of a
subjective thing, rather than a scientific type of deal?  Another thing I
wanted to ask about was lens caps.  All my lenses have generic caps that
"click in" by means of two tabs on opposite sides.  I noticed that a few of
these will let out tiny pin points of light where the tabs are.  I thought
caps were supposed to be light tight.  I know that sometimes I have to
rewind my film half way, and when I put it back in I have to fire the
shutter many times to advance the film to where I left off.  Would the tiny
points of light affect the images already taken?  Is there a way to advance
the film without firing the shutter? (probably not) Another thing that
concerns me is inside the camera. I don't know what the area is called, but
where the light passed through to reach the film there is bumpy stuff.
Maybe this stuff is just painted metal or felt, but on the bottom of my
mirror there is all kinds of white marks.  I think that either the "paint"
is scratched off or there is something stuck there.  How should I get it
off? (or put it on if its scratched)

  Another thing I wanted to ask was: how do I clean the mirror.  I know it
doesn't matter if there is crap there, it kind of bothers me when I see all
kinds of dust and other items when I look through the viewfinder.  I am sure
that soap, water, and a face cloth is a bad thing, so what should I use.
Another thing that really bothered me this weekend was changing lenses.  I
know have four, and I find that I always want to change (not always, just
often)  is there anyway that I can change lenses without so much balancing
and trouble. I feel like a circus act trying to juggle around three lenses
whilst listen to my mom tell me to move out of the middle of the sidewalk.

  The last question I can remember (I had an eight hour drive, so I did a
lot of thinking) is this:  My slowest lenses are the 28 3.5 and 200 4.  When
using these I find that the view finder darkens at the edges.  At first I
thought the something was causing vignetting with the 28 but after double
checking I found no difference in the corners.  I have no idea if this
showed up on my pictures so, I thought that maybe it is just the screen that
gets dark at the corners with a slow lens. I am using the standard screen
and the problem seems to be worse with the 28 as opposed to the 200.

I would appreciate any answers to the above questions as I am losing sleep!

Thanks,

    JOSH LOHIUS