Re: [OM] Free Image Editor observation

Subject: Re: [OM] Free Image Editor observation
From: wavegirl <wavegirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:39:47 +0000
> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:33:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Free Image Editor observation
>
> I've been working on some scans tonight and finally got around
> to loading the windows version of THE GIMP. (2002-3-10)
>
> The UI is kinda kludgy compared to what I'm used to, but that's
> a non-MS Windows program for you.

Well non-mac program really, if you're thinking of photoshop - it's
interface comes straight out of Apple Human Interface Guidelines.

That said, I've used The Gimp on Linux for some years now and it really is
no photoshop -- the interface is terrible, beyond kludgy. But it's scripting
is very cool and there are tons of scripts out there to make all sorts of
eye candy. The thing I've found on the Linux versions was inability to
scale, not scale the picture dimensions but the size of the data file. As
you add more layers to an already pretty large-dimensioned picture, it
really would get very flaky. In fact it's one of the few programs I've ever
seen that could take out Linux AND force you to recompile parts of X to get
it to work again.

It's good for the price, but if you can afford photoshop stick with
Photoshop. As much as I dislike Adobe as an entity, it really is an insanely
good image manipulation program.