Re: [OM] What happened to the OM market?

Subject: Re: [OM] What happened to the OM market?
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:44:11 -0600 (CST)

> At 10:12 PM 3/11/02 -0800, Richard F. Man wrote:
>
> >I think the rare items gets as higher priced as ever. I dipped my toes at
> >the 35-80/2.8 with something like $890 and was immediately outbidded (by
> >someone's max. reserve). Ditto w/ 50/2 macro for $340.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> That's what happened on the few things that I've been watching.  It seems
> to me that things like 35-70mm, f3.6's and 200mm, f4s are pretty cheap but
> I'm not having much luck with fast lenses such as the 24mm, 2.0 because
> they're going pretty high, especially if they're really clean and include
> cases, original caps, etc.
>
> Later,
> Johnny

I posted a while back that it looked like there was a price divergence
occuring. Common-as-dirt stuff in so-so condition is falling as people
leave the system. But collectible stuff, including stuff like packing
materials, lens cases, and literature, is rising in price. Collectors
and hard-core dead-ender users are bidding up the hard-to-find items
and pristine examples of the more common stuff. Look at the big
spread at Keh as you go from Ex to LN. The good news is that you can
build a great system for the price of a so-so digital or consumer level
camera, or even a superzoom P&S.

Me, I just bought a new DV camcorder. Hey, that's what Maitani was using
when spotted recently.

Paul