Re: [OM] What's your favorite OM body?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's your favorite OM body?
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:34:59 EST
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 03/12/2002 1:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"What's your favorite OM-series body and why? What don't you like
and why?  I'd like to know details here folks, things like how you
like the metering system, the look of the camera, or just how it
feels to use it. I know that I love the velvety feel of my OM-1s when
I use them."

Hmmmm not sure I have a favorite - I love them all! A few subjective
observations on the ones I have, though:

OM-1/OM-1n - I agree with you on the velvety feel (also applies to my OM-2n).
Usually one is packed as a backup to my OM-4 when I'm doing shooting "for me"
as opposed to the usual family snap stuff. Also love them for the nostalgia
value - my first OM was an OM-1, and it was my only camera for many years.

OM-2n - don't use it much - it's badly in need of a CLA (meter i sabout 1
stop off - John H. - you'll be hearing from me soon!). It does have that
silky OM-1 feel to it, that the later OMs lack.

OM-2S - Probably my most used body. The winder 2 never comes off of it, and
it usually has a T32 on a BG 2 attached as well. Because of the winder I
don't notice the rougher film advance as compared to the earlier OMs. This is
my snapshot camera - the TTL flash has never failed me, and I can put it in
program mode and hand it to someone and actually get in some of the pics!

OM-4 - This is the camera I grab when I want to have fun taking photographs.
The multi-spot metering is almost too good to be true. Sometimes it will have
a winder or motor attached, but I find this camera really shines when I want
to work slow and think about what I am doing. Plus a winder/motor makes using
the meter controls much more difficult for me. The film advance is noticeably
rougher than on my OM-1's, but seems just as rugged in heavy use.

Hope this helps a little,

Paul Schings