Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photo

Subject: Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:04:47 -0800
Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

<snip>Given a limited amount of time to spend shooting, is
it better to spend that time composing one perfect shot, or taking a large
number of tentative shots and then work out which ones worked best once
they're printed?

Different things work for different people. My problem with lots of quick shots is that I often don't remember what I did, so I can't replicate, or avoid, it. If I take notes, it returns me to the slow, thoughtfull mode, which is closer to my natural style anyway.

On that subject, does anyone have tips on how to evaluate the shots that
worked better/worse? I can certainly tell the photos I like from the ones I
don't like, but _why_ some are better than others is still a bit of a
mystery to me beyond the most obvious flaws.

If you make pictures to please yourself, thoughtful contemplation of what you like and dislike in your pictures should start to clarify things. The same exercise worked on other's pictures can also be useful. Maybe I'm an odd one. I am often struck by the beauty of pictures in newspapers and magazines. Rather than first seeing and reacting to the drama in a recent picture of the religious violence in India or a huge crash in a stock car race, I was struck by the beauty of the photographs and their perfection in capturing the whole story in one image. I remember a shot of 3 Afgan fighters resting in a cave that just stopped me in my tracks. Composition, lighting, subtlety of color graduation and texture worthy of Rembrant. It made me think of things I woud like to add to my photographic repertoire.

If you make pictures to please others, observe how others react to your pictures and other people's pictures. Post your pictures where they can get responses. And read those books about how it 'should' be done.

Moose