Re: [OM] I take it back

Subject: Re: [OM] I take it back
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)
> Well, I have heard from Gary, and I now officially take back
> anything bad I said about the 600/6.5 that, in my ignorance, I

I'm going to kick in and contribute an opinion or two on the
600/6.5 also.  I borrowed Patrick's 600 while he was off vegging
in the middle of the Pacific.

Getting sharp images with the 600/6.5 is as much artform as it
is science.  This is one very tough lens to use.  I can honestly
say that I've never been challenged by a lens as much as this
lens did to me.

If you can get the camera/lens stable the sharpness is
exceptional.  The color and constrast is terrific and exhibits
no color-fringing that seems to be present in every 400+ lens.
I found that a tripod doesn't work as well with this lens as
you'd like.  First of all, the lens acts as a giant billboard in
the wind.  No matter how tightly you clamp down the tripod head
it's gonna move.  Leverage!  My best results were when I would
aim the lens slightly low and then push down on the camera when
taking the camera.  The harder I pressed, the more damped the
lens became.  I checked it out on a monopod and felt that it was
quite a bit more solid than the tripod.  Go figure.

My best results were when I had it tripod mounted AND used my
shoulder-stock.  By anchoring in two locations the lens/camera
became very solid and the resulting shots are suitable for
decent enlargment.  The rest?  Well...

Don't bother trying to track flying birds with this lens.  Maybe
on a monopod or a heavy-duty video tripod.  I went through
almost four rolls of film shooting eagles and had only a couple
of keepers.

Would I personally buy a 600/6.5 after my medium-term
test-drive?  No.  In my experience, 400mm is a much more usable
focal length, with smaller size, brighter optics and an extra
usable shutter-speed.  The rack and pinion focusing is also
something that I couldn't come to grips with.  Since getting
either is out of the question right now, I'll just stick with my
200/4.  With just a handful of exceptions, I couldn't get sharp
images with any film slower than ISO 400.

But it did have awesome chrome rings.

AG-Schnozz