RE: [OM] OT: They Found Her! The Afghan Girl

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: They Found Her! The Afghan Girl
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:23:08 -0500
Cc: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 9:15 AM -0800 3/13/02, Dave Shupe wrote:

An article about this in today's Seattle Times mentions that Steve McCurry
did not know the girl's name because he did not have an interpreter with him
in the Pakistan refugee camp when he took the photo.

Why did he not need a model release?

Cheers!

Because it was originally a "news" photograph? Because Pakistani law is not so particular about such things? Because it was unlikely that an orphan would ever see the picture, much less have access to a lawyer?

(Just last year, when I saw that face slapped on yet another National Geo
product advertisement, it occurred to me to wonder just how much money that
girl had made for the organization, and how ridiculous it would be to imagine that she or her family would share in a penny of the profits.)

paul
an afghan orphan

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx