Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photo

Subject: Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:05:09 -0800
Great post John! Not sure which I enjoy more, your photographs or your
incredibly informative posts. I'll re-read this most recent one a few
times to let it all soak in.

In racing photography I try to concentrate on visualizing split second
slices in time. I try to set myself up first, of course, for good
background, focus, exposure, etc. but once the cars start flying past it
all becomes too fast to think about anything except seeing and
anticipating that fleeting moment and catching it at exactly the right
time with the shutter release--allthewhile hoping that the basics
attended to before things got hectic are okay (and often leaning heavily
on the OM's exceptional OTF AE metering).

I guess what I am saying is that for differing types of photography
there are different types of visualization. Seeing and visualizing what
I am getting on film instantly as I get it, and knowing I got it (or
not) most of the time, is key for me. I find this challenging and
exciting. When it works right I have very few tosses and don't have to
edit upwards of a thousand frames after an event like those who blast
way with 7-10fps motor drives. We won't talk about when it works wrong ;-)

Back to reading your post another time or two...I can just tell I'll
learn something from it, thank you!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com