[OM] when best to use cable release

Subject: [OM] when best to use cable release
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:07:35 -0500
For many years I consistently used cable releases with macro & long telephoto lenses. Recently, however, I noticed that on the e-sif site and on many Oly web pages, it has been suggested that there is basically NO ideal time to use a cable release. Most often it is suggested to use "the ball of your finger while holding the camera steady".

So my question then is when, exactly, is one SUPPOSED to use a cable release? Maitani obviously thought the need would arise, or the OM line would never have been designed to accomodate one.

Or is this all just a matter of personal preference? I notice that in my old, original, OM-1 manual from 1972 they recommend a cable-release for the long telephotos. Has conventional thinking changed since then?

I'm perplexed... ;)