Re: [OM] when best to use cable release

Subject: Re: [OM] when best to use cable release
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:30:50 +0000
The only time I always use a cable release is for astrophotography.  I
learned the hard way, when I once forgot to take a cable release with me
when I was going to be under dark skies, that it's no fun at all
standing in brutal cold for an hour holding the shutter open!  I much
prefer tripping the shutter, going inside for a few coffees, then
returning to finish the shot some hours later.  Example of a two-hour
exposure:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/trails/dometrails.jpg

For exposures around 1/focal length up to a second or so, undamped
vibrations can seriously compromise image quality, so it's better to
hold onto your camera on a tripod rather than operate it from a distance
with a cable release.  Beyond this is cable release domain.  That's the
way I see it anyway.

Roger