RE: [OM] when best to use cable release

Subject: RE: [OM] when best to use cable release
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:38:37 -0500
In the past, I have tried using my cable release with astrophotography, but since I don't have one of those wonderful computer-controlled astro-guidance tripods, I always end up with circles or streaks of stars. I'd like to get a motorized guider and take some of those Hubble-esque photos you can only get in the non-light polluted countryside. The OM-1 is 1000erfectly suited for this IMHO.

Now if only there were more that I could do to brighten the viewfinder beyond installing a 2 series screen and using the vari-magnifinder to acheive that perfect focus... or would setting the focus ring at infinity be just as good? In any event, it's obvious that I lack experience in this type of photography, but I AM interested... ;)

I also read somewhere about using gas-treated 800 ASA film for finer grain... practical, or no?