Re: [OM] OM2s advice/flat bed scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2s advice/flat bed scanners
From: Chris Waigl <chrisw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:53:28 +0100
Le Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:28:25 EST, NSURIT@xxxxxxx écrivit:

>I find myself in a similar situation of having just bought a new computer and
>am looking for a flat bed scanner.  One I'm looking at is the new Epson 2450
>which will allow me to scan medium format stuff also.  The list price on the
>unit is $399 and in addition to several other pieces of software, has Adobe
>Photoshop Elements, which I had planned to buy anyway.

I bought the Epson 245O three months ago, for about the same price
as the one you mention. I'm really happy with it, knowing its
limitations. The scans won't have the sharpness of a good film scanner,
and you'll always have to use a good unsharp mask filter. But the
resolution is already _quite_ good -- it does resolve the film corn
of a Tri-X developed in Rodinal (i.e. a pretty grainy film).

For the moment, I've only scanned 35mm b/w and slides. With the slides,
you have to fiddle a bit to get the colour balance right -- my first
scans had quite a magenta cast. Vuescan might help -- it works with
the scanner. Noise is visible (probably worse than in a film scanner),
but not dramatic, except in, say, blue sky. Multipass scanning (Vuescan)
may help here.

Photoshop Elements is definitely a plus. It has the look and feel
of the full Photoshop and is perfectly sufficient for doing all the
image editing you need for Web use or some such.

I have not yet tried getting prints from the scanned film, but will
soon.

Given that it's quite a bit less expensive than a film scanner, esp.
a medium format scanner, I think that this scanner is a good product.

Some web-sized pictures scanned with it (i want to put them on a real
site, but for the moment they are just lying around on the server):

http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/D_tolbiac08_2002_1.jpg
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/tolbiac01_3_2002_1.jpg
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/chantier11_2002_1.jpg
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/chantier5_2002_1.jpg
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/chantier3_2002_1.jpg

Good luck for your decision,

Chris W.

--
chris waigl

     I am now prosecuting some things with an engine I formerly
     writ to you of.            (Robert Boyle, to Hardlib 1659)