Re: [OM] zoom CAT - Not Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom CAT - Not Olympus
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:51:14 -0500
At 03:53 PM 3/14/2002 +0000, Jeff K. wrote:

<< The only thing I can imagine is a CAT with a teleconverter mistaken
as zoom. Mirrors don't adjust their focal length. >>

The Olympus 500mm f/8 Reflex Zoom does.  It looses focal length as it
focuses closer.  It is only a 320mm lens at its closest focusing
distance. I suspect that its unique construction vs. other catadioptric
lenses results in some degree of internal focusing.  Loss of focal
length at near distances is a disadvantage to internal focusing lenses.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV