Re: [OM] IS Experience?

Subject: Re: [OM] IS Experience?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:59:57 +0100
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:44:54 -0500
> From: "Bob Whitmire" <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] IS Experience?
>
> The IS cameras have begun to intrigue me since our Stylus crapped out.
> Normally, I like to lug around my OM stuff, but sometimes the Stylus was all
> that was required for happy-snappies. But the pics never were that sharp,
> even at regular 4x6. Now I'm thinking about replacing it with an IS, which
> is a bit more than a point and shoot, I know, but still seems manageable for
> folks such as my wife who would prefer not to mess with all the manual stuff
> on the OM line.
>
> Any experience out there? I notice they come in various flavors. I like the
> 35-180 zoom, but wonder how good the glass is. Would the 28-110 be sharper?
> Any advice, comments, warnings, etc., appreciated.
>
> Thanx!
>
> - --Bob Whitmire

Bob,
I don't think you'll have to worry about the glass on any of the iS models, but
you should
be aware of the early iS-10. I believe they had all sorts of problems, and they
were not
as smooth and quiet as the later models. The first 'advanced' iS-1 also had a
terribly
slow AF, but otherwise you should be ok with any of these cameras. The iS-3 is
an amazing
camera in many ways, but for those who want to start their iS journey with
something
smaller, lighter and with the features of a [very] advanced P & S camera I
would recommend
the iS-30. FWIW, it was tested in Pop Photo July '99, and the conclusion was
that hadn't
it been for the size it would have been the best P & S on the market. The lens
was rated
'outstanding', and even with a C-210 converter it was still 'very good'. I
believe the
prices on the iS-30 will come down soon when the new iS-5 and iS-50 models
arrives.

If you want total control however there's (so far at least) only the iS-3
though, and this
year is perhaps the last chance to buy new. I reckon it will be replaced by the
new iS-5,
perhaps not immediately this year but soon enough. iS-5, soon to arrive, is
somewhat of a
compromise between the iS-3 and the simpler models. It has the same (or in some
cases even
improved) advanced control, but still retaining essentially the same weight and
dimensions
as a [later] simple iS model. iS-50 is a simpler version w/o manual focus and
exposure.
But it's really too early yet to say much more about these two new models. I
don't think
they will take a long time though, because Olympus America already has the
manuals
available at their site(!)

I've used an iS-3000 with pleasure for almost eight years now (actually bought
in Dubai),
and also managed to get most of the accessories through the years at very good
prices (if
I can managed that here in Sweden you should have few problems in the US ;-) A
beautiful
lens in a perfectly balanced and ergonomic body, and everything combined with
intelligent
and awesome flash power. It will be a sad day when it's finally gone...

My most recent buy however is a cute and absolutely irresistible little
Centurion S in
mint cond, so for the moment the iS-3000 is laid up  ;-)

Best regards,

Per Nordenberg
Sweden