Re: [OM] [OT] -- Does anyone know...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] -- Does anyone know...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:23:35 -0500
At 01:36 3/15/02, Jim Brockaw wrote:
The place in Colorado does, but it would be ~$28 to process the roll, and
they do a batch about every 6 months. You don't get slides back, rather B&W
prints from the film developed as a negative... apparently the color dyes
are no longer made.

I don't have that much curiosity about what (if anything) would be on the
roll.
--

Yes, applies to K-11, K-12 processing for Kodachrome. Found this out when investigating what could be done with a roll of K-12 a while back.

Fortunately the Ektachromes can be processed as color transparency. I don't know if they mount them or not. The web site would have details.

Kodachrome is essentially a three-layer B/W film with each layer responsive to a portion of the spectrum. Unless the dye linkers and then the dyes are added during the process, it remains B/W. If, in addition, it's not "reversed" it's similar to a chromogenic B/W negative.

IIRC, if current K-14 Kodachrome is cross-processed E-6, it comes out B/W transparency. How it looks as a "chromogenic" B/W tranny may be a different matter entirely; I don't know.

-- John