Re: [OM] IS Experience?

Subject: Re: [OM] IS Experience?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:16:16 -0800 (PST)
> One peculiar thing I read some time ago in a discussion forum
> was someone who claimed that
> the 35-135 ED zoom of the earlier advanced iS models was the
> sharpest of them all. The
> iS-3/-3000 35-180 ED zoom followed closely (it was still
> noticeable softer tho). Anyone
> who verify this? Could it have been a bad iS-3 example? At
> least it appears some
> iS-3/-3000 cameras are more sensitive to vinjetting than
> others when filters are mounted
> (mine isn't I think).

That was probably me.  I am especially fond of the lens in the
IS-1.  For some reason it has an additional sharpness "pop" that
the IS-3 doesn't have.  I'm not saying that the IS-3 is a dog,
it's just that the 35-135mm lens of the IS-1 possesses that
extra contrast and sharpness that leans towards edginess.

But to put it in perspective, the IS-3's lens is still sharper
and contrastier than any other unilens that I've ever seen.  I
like my IS-3, but would still have appreciated having a true
lens mount.

AG