Re: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:52:52 -0500
Hi Titoy,
Well, I'm not familiar with Sekonic meters, and the model you mention isn't
on their website. Unless you meant the 308B. This is quite similar to the
Minolta and likely an excellent choice. I'm sure others can add their
comments here.

The Minolta is an incident flash only. A replacement disc may allow
reflectance measurements, but I haven't looked into it. For incident
measures, place the meter where the subject is (or will be) trigger the
meter, hit the flash and read the appropriate aperture to use. It reads both
the blended flash and ambient light. You must set the selected shutter speed
and ISO filmspeed on the meter. It's simple to use, consistent and reliable.
It can also be used to read only ambient light as well. Once you take a
measurement, changing the meter's setting for filmspeed or shutter will
change the aperature accordingly.

Since you place the incident meter in the subject's position, you will get a
reading that is unswayed by the characteristics of the subject. If you were
to spot meter off a gray card, you would effectively do the same. Too bad
our OMs don't spot meter for TTL flash exposures!

Although I don't use it that often, I am totally satisfied with it every
time. If a comparable Sekonic had been on the dealer's used shelf instead of
the Minolta, I would likely be just as happy.

Happy shooting!
Mickey