Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer phot

Subject: Re: [OM] To improve, take more photos.. but to improve, take fewer photos?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:20:04 -0500
At 18:14 3/16/02, Tom Trottier wrote:
Of course, with 80 square inches of film to choose from, you could set the
camera to cover the whole ring & crop when desired.

The hard part is adding more flash powder for each exposure.... <g>

tOM

I'm certain many photographers did this. I don't think Charlie cropped that much; not after looking at the quality of what he shot and having seen some of the gear he used (at ringside).

For baseball games Charlie used a custom-made long lens on the 8x10 that rivaled the short gun tube from an 8-inch howitzer. It now resides in the NYDN "museum." Had a special shift lever on the side for focusing (taken from an old truck) that had preset lateral slots he could lock it in for all the bases plus home plate. A heavy leather (??) harness strapped the entire affair to his chest. The photograph that accompanied the Photo Techniques article shows him in the press box at a baseball game with this monstrosity strapped on. I see these things and realize even my M645 without the hand grip would be much, much easier to use.

ROFL about the flash powder!
BTW, flash bulbs were invented in 1929 and it took a while for them to come into widespread use. Early flashbulbs had a bad habit of occasionally exploding. Makes me wonder which posed more danger: flash powder or flashbulbs. I knew this for some time before it finally sank in the studio shots of my grandparents and my father when he was very young *had* to have been made using flash powder. Imagine a two-year old reacting to flash powder being ignited; probably got one shot at it. One of them is my grandparents' wedding photograph. It was very common prior to WWII for the *only* wedding photograph to be a studio portrait of the bride and groom (in wedding dress and suit). Going to a photography studio in that era must have been quite an affair, rather dramatic, and not without its hazards. Could be one of several reasons people didn't have portraits made that often; akin to visiting a fireworks test facility. <g>

-- John