[OM] Debate

Subject: [OM] Debate
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:15:46 +1200
Hello fellow Zuikoholics,

I am not going to continue discussing a thread that I raised and which was
raised again in the latest digest to come my way.

However, I want to say this.

In a multi-cultural society / community there will exist many differing
(sometimes conflicting) values and attitudes in relation to behaviours and
social mores. In consequence, a statement supporting one idea may run
counter to the beliefs of others. This does not make it an invalid topic for
comment, and it should not be stifled because some people may not agree
with it. It is also incorrect to take personal offense to a statement or
comment made to be applied in a general, non-personal way.

So; if I make a statement dealing with a general or specific (non-personal)
situation, and somebody takes personal offense to this as though I had
made a direct personal attack on them; or applies the argument to a target I
did not intend; I say that is their error, not mine, and I am likely to act
accordingly.

To put it more directly, to take offense where none was intended is the
problem of the person taking the offense, not mine.

Brian