RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash

Subject: RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:43:39 -0500
If you're building a studio, it's very convenient to use 12" tiles! (50cm
for metric...)

But GNs do lose their usefulness with diffusers, snoots, and umbrellas. The
radiant area doesn't resemble a point source very well, so the inverse
square law doesn't apply, and GNs are useless.

Even slightly different setups (e.g. 1 or multiple subjects) will need
flash testing if the distances vary. This is good fodder for a studio
notebook. I suggest a page per setup with your flashmeter and distance
notes on a diagram with the heads, ...

Using OM TTL, the only control on lighting ratios would be relative
distance, diffusion, or bouncing with identical flash units. Does anyone
have experience mixing different units? The T20 might outshine the T32 if
it gave full output some microseconds earlier and the subject were close
enough.

Tom

On Sunday, March 17, 2002 at 11:29, James N. McBride
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash " saying:

> True. Once you get some experience with your setup the flash meter is
> not always necessary. Guide number calculations are difficult when using
> multiple flashes with umbrellas and other types of diffusers or
> reflectors so the meter is great for testing new setups.  /jim

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714