Re: [OM] Debate

Subject: Re: [OM] Debate
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:11:13 -0800

Hello fellow Zuikoholics,

I am not going to continue discussing a thread that I raised and which was
raised again in the latest digest to come my way.

However, I want to say this.

In a multi-cultural society / community there will exist many differing
(sometimes conflicting) values and attitudes in relation to behaviours and
social mores. In consequence, a statement supporting one idea may run
counter to the beliefs of others. This does not make it an invalid topic for
comment, and it should not be stifled because some people may not agree
with it. It is also incorrect to take personal offense to a statement or
comment made to be applied in a general, non-personal way.

So; if I make a statement dealing with a general or specific (non-personal)
situation, and somebody takes personal offense to this as though I had
made a direct personal attack on them; or applies the argument to a target I
did not intend; I say that is their error, not mine, and I am likely to act
accordingly.

To put it more directly, to take offense where none was intended is the
problem of the person taking the offense, not mine.

Brian

Agreed, Brian. Keep in mind, though, that not everyone has the capacity to shrug stuff off when it unsettles them in an emotional way, and if one persists in sending that sort of message my experience is that unpleasantness shortly follows. That doesn't mean one hasn't the right to voice himself thusly, neither does it imply that if the opposition speaks from a majority's view then the unpleasant message ought to be considered taboo; it suggests, rather, that people are at base only what they are, a somewhat chilled reality which I have never known good reason to warmly affect.

Other than that, feel free to carry on.

Tris

P.S. <g>