Re: [OM] Sunday Outing, dead OM-2S :-(

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunday Outing, dead OM-2S :-(
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:09:01 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 Pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? The take up spool and sprocket move
> freely (the rewind button is down and won't come back up). I tried putting
> the winder back on - no luck. The motor runs for a second as if it is
> working, but the shutter doesn't fire and the take up and sprockets don't
> turn. I'll take a look throught the archives when I get some time tomorrow,
> as I seem to recall something like this, or at least similar, being common in
> OM-2S's. I hope the fix is simple!

It's most likely overwound.  To fix it you'll have to remove the gear cluster
at the bottom of the camera and re-time the gears.  However, even if you do
that, it'll probably jam again since you need to find the cause of the problem.
The most common cause of overwinding in a 2S is dirty levers.  The little
levers around the bottom of the wind shaft get slow and that allows the
wind shaft to travel too far.  A good flushing with a solvent such as lighter
fluid or methanol usually cleans it up.
                                -mark