RE: [OM] exposure comp. for non-grey scenes

Subject: RE: [OM] exposure comp. for non-grey scenes
From: "Robert R. Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:10:15 -0600
I don't have a comp. dial in front of me, but you are correct in
assuming that you should make the exposures at least 1 stop "longer"
(1/30 instead of 1/60).  In this case the meter would want to stop down
because of all the white.  You want to fool it into staying open longer.

Bob

<snip>

 I was just out shooting TOPE stuff, and shot a whole lot of shots of
basically large white mountains against large white skies. (
(West)Castle
Mountain, southern Alberta -- pretty much your classic steeps and deeps
hill, lots of fun, _lots_ of snow, though my legs hurt a lot today).

 I tried to work out which way to compensate for the fact that the
camera
thinks the whole world is 18 0rey, and after flipping back and forth in
my
mind, I wound up setting everything to +1. I'm not sure if this was
right or
not, so before I put this in for processing, could someone confirm if
this
was correct, or if I'm going to have to hope for sufficient film
latitude?

 (reasoning there was:

 camera wants to make everything 18 0rey
 world is actually white
 so the camera's going to try and expose the white into a 18 0rey scene
 so the camera's going to try and make the white too dark
 so I want to give more light to the film
 so I set the exp.comp dial to +, to force longer exposures.