Re:[OM] the woes of electronics

Subject: Re:[OM] the woes of electronics
From: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:30:16 -0500
Cc: F4ipilote@xxxxxxxxx
Originally posted by Bob Gries:

>Well, the circuit board in my -4Ti has failed.  Sadly, I only
>purchased this used less than a year ago, and now I have to
>make the tough decision.
<snip>

>I have two OM-1 bodies that I have been using more often, and
>am wondering what a life would be like if I never had the -4Ti to
>begin with....

<snip>
>I have enjoyed the spot metering, and the super FP flash,
>but could I live w/o it?

>If anyone has suggestions,
>I would be glad to hear them.

Bob,
Life would be *just fine* with two OM-1's. Think of the satisfaction
you will derive from wonderful photos taken with a completely
manual camera. That's all I have had to shoot with for last twenty
years, and I have many nice photos to show for it. Remember the
Indy car photos I posted about a month ago. Shot with a OM-1
and a steady hand.  All the bells and whistles of a -4Ti are nice
and all, but IMHO, not really necessary. I've taken a large no. of
fine photos with an OM-1 and a 50mm lens, 'cause that's all I
had! Look at what Henri-Cartier Bresson did with a Leica
rangefinder and just one lens!  Granted, I did just purchase an
OM2S from Bill Barber, but that's because I've been feeling
particularly Zuikoholic lately, and I thought spot metering would
be nice to have for shooting backlit race cars and bikes, as I
don't have the kind of track access Mike Veglia does. But do I
*really need* one?  Nope, NO WAY. To be honest with you, if
someone said to me, "Stephen, you can only have one camera
in the whole wide world", that would be easy, it'd be an OM-1.

Is an OM3-Ti worth it? Not to me. I could take a trip to Europe for
that kind of money...and take my trusty OM-1 with me.