RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash

Subject: RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:07:10 -0500
At 16:50 3/18/02, Tom Trottier wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2002 at 22:03, T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] OM 2n for studio flash " saying:

> Actually, I've been considering this. Shouldn't the OTF
> "auto-dynamic" light metering features of OM2 take this into account? At
> least, if the majority of the light does not come from the slaves?

The OTF doesn't kill the slaves (unless they're pricy Ikelites - see
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/lite_link.html ), just the T32s. You would
have have the slaves set to provide the amount of light you wanted relative
to the main exposure.

The lighting ratio between t32s (& Ikelite slaves) would be determined by
their distances.

Whether the T32 took into account the slaves' contribution would be
determined by the timing of the majority of the light. If most slave light
follows the T32 quench, then it wouldn't be counted by the T32.

Tom

WARNING!
The following contains heresies about the OM system.
Mothers, hide your daughters.

If you want to run without cables and optical or radio slaves, Metz (yes, this is the heresy part) has a two-channel IR master/slave function for a number of their flash heads. Even for those that require an SCA-3082 adapter to act as a slave unit, it's cheaper than the Ikelite system. I have been contemplating doing something similar with two additional MZ40-[2,3i] flash units. The following are the Metz flash heads that can handle this system.

Master (built-in):
  70MZ-5
  70MZ-4
  54MZ-3
  40MZ-3i

Slave (built-in; SCA-3082 not required):
  70MZ-5
  34CS-2

Slave (requires SCA-3082):
  70MZ-4