[OM] Turning off HTML

Subject: [OM] Turning off HTML
From: wavegirl <wavegirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:34:46 +0000
Hotmail

In the Compose window of Hotmail, if you see a Toolbar immediately above the
section where you type your message, then your message will be sent as a
Rich-Text message in HTML format. To revert to "Plain Text", look
immediately above the left side of that toolbar for the "Tools" selection
box. Click on the arrow, and then click on "Rich Text Editor OFF." A warning
window will pop up asking if you want to do this -- click OK. The toolbar
will disappear and you will now be set up to send in Plain Text format.

*

AOL 6.0

When communicating with Internet recipients who are not using an email
program capable of selecting which MIME section to view, an AOL 6.0 user can
turn off the HTML by taking the following steps exactly as described:

1.    Change your global email preferences (only needs to be done once):
a.    Go to Keyword: Preferences (or choose Preferences from the Settings
menu on the AOL 6.0 toolbar).
b.    Click on Font, Text, & Graphics Preferences.
c.    Click on the Reset button at the bottom of the resulting window. Do
not make any changes in the Font Preferences area of the window.
d.    Click on the Save button.

-OR-

2.    Change a specific email to plain text (must be done for every email):
a.    Compose and address the email as desired.
b.    Choose Select All from the Edit menu to highlight the entire message.
c.    With the mouse arrow somewhere over the highlighted text, click the
Right mouse button, revealing a contextual menu (AKA Right-Click).
d.    Choose Normal from the Text menu.
e.    Taking care not to make any further changes to the message, send it.

Note that changing the text to normal will eliminate the "blue bar" quoted
text indicator, but will not remove some HTML elements of the quoted text.
The entire quoted section must be deleted (or simply not quoted in the first
place), followed by the re-entry of the text quoted manually, prior to
changing the text to normal. Changing the text to normal will also eliminate
any styled text that would have been seen by AOL recipients of the message,
which cannot be re-added. Testing also suggests that messages with
hyperlinks cannot be converted to normal text, requiring the prior removal
of the link. Finally, one must suppress their email signature if it contains
any styled text, as that will push the whole message back into HTML.

*

AOL 7.0

AOL 7.0 only requires step one, above: using the global default font face,
size, style, and color. Any attempt to change the font face, size, style, or
color within the body of an email will send the email in HTML, as will any
attempt to use a different default font face, size, style, or color.

Like AOL 6, AOL 7 will uses HTML when quoting a message (displaying the
quoted portion with a blue line in the left margin). And like AOL 6,
choosing Text > Normal will eliminate any indication that the text was
quoted. However, unlike AOL 6, the message will now be sent in plain text.
The quoted portion will need to be manually quoted, however.

Like AOL 6, a formatted signature in AOL 7 may force the message into HTML.

*

Microsoft Outlook

>From the toolbar, on the "Tools" menu, select the "Options..." button, then
select the "Mail Format" tab. Under "Send in this Format", select "Plain
Text", and press the "OK" button.

*

Microsoft Outlook Express

>From the toolbar, on the "Tools" menu, select the "Options..." button, then
select the "Send" tab. Under "Mail Sending Format", select "Plain text".
Press the "OK" button.

*

Netscape Messenger

>From the toolbar, select "Edit", then "Preferences...". Under category "Mail
& Newsgroups", select the sub-category "Formatting".

If you wish to send all of your messages in "Plain Text" format, then select
"Use the plain text editor to compose messages". Then press the "OK" button,
and you're finished.

However, if you wish to send messages in HTML format to all but mailing
lists (and other selected recipients), click on "Use the HTML editor to
compose messages". Then look under "When sending HTML messages to recipients
who are not listed as being able to receive them" and click on "Ask me what
to do if the message has HTML formatting, otherwise send plain text". Then
press the "OK" button.

*

Eudora

On the menu bar, click on "Tools", then "Options". Under "Category", scroll
down to and click on "Styled Text".

If you wish to send all of your messages in Plain Text format, you may click
on "Send plain text only" and leave blank "Ask me each time." Then click
"OK" at the bottom.

*

MSN Mail

It is not possible to send "Plain Text" messages using MSN Mail. You must
use an alternate e-mail program, such as Hotmail, Outlook, Outlook Express,
Eudora or Netscape.