[OM] Zuiko 100mm varieties

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 100mm varieties
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:24:18 -0700
Well, I've seriously fallen off the wagon over the past few weeks and
have had a pretty good zuikoholic bender.  Most recently, I ran across a
Zuiko 100/2 in a pawn shop for $200, complete with Oly UV filter and hood
for the 35/2 ;)  I couldn't resist.  As I already have, and like very
much, the 100/2.8, I was curious as to other's opinions on these lenses.
First off, it seems to me that unlike other f/2 lenses such as the 28,
the 100/2 is not a replacement for the 100/2.8, since it is about 3 times
the size.  This is one serious chunk of glass!  I was originally thinking
that I could sell the 100/2.8 if I got the 100/2 (yeah, right!), but now
I'm pretty sure that I really wouldn't want to.  The 100/2.8 is so
perfect for backpacking, since it's so small and light, that I really
couldn't justify lugging around the extra weight of the 100/2.  Anyway, I
was wondering how others used this lens?  When do you feel it's worth
carrying the extra bulk for that additional stop?  I must admit that I
already like the f/2 a lot, with all that glass and all those aperture
blades, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Mark Marr-Lyon