[OM] A completely different eBay question -- mention the OM list?

Subject: [OM] A completely different eBay question -- mention the OM list?
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:36:28 -0800
There's been plenty of discussion of keeping eBay off the list, but what about mentioning the list on eBay?

Last year I was selling off various bicycle frame building bits and pieces on eBay, and in each auction I included a one-line plug for the bicycle framebuilding mailing list. The list got quite a few new members from that, including some excellent contributors. It didn't get any spam, or ads on the list for members eBay auctions.

What would people here think about doing something like that? Surely there are people out there bidding on OM items who know a lot about the OM system but haven't run into the list. Would it be appropriate to put a list reference in an eBay ad, something like this:

  If you're interested in Olympus equipment like this, you might
  be interested in the OM mailing list, a noncommercial forum for
  OM-system enthusiasts.
  See http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html

--
          josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam