Re: [OM] 28mm f/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 28mm f/2.8
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:28:03 -0800
Hah, thought so. Really bad in this case, so you could see it with the naked eye, but they can be bad without being obvious. Always try a new lens with and without the 'protective' filter, to be sure. In comparing the 28mm to the 28-70, be sure the zoom was at 28mm for the shots you compare. The larger image from zooming in closer can give the impression of greater sharpness. The eye is fooled by the greater magnification into discounting the lack of coverage that was the point of using a wide angle in the first place. Be clear whether you might want a longer lens rather than a sharper wide one. Remember also that 'sharpness' is a complex subjective mixture of objective lens characteristics that varies with viewer.

Moose

Olympus List wrote:

Well, got back my Sequoia trip pictures.. WOW! Can I just make a little commercial on this list for Provia 100 Slide film??? Anyway, a lot of them were taken with my 28mmf/2.8, which I have bitched about for a long time. Well, I shot it without a filter. It looks good! Upon closer inspection, I see my filter was damaged, but the glass was not shattered, it was a little bit "compressed". Not visible.. But when you hold up the filter to something very colorful, and move it around, you see a little bit of warping... So I chucked the filter, and shot without it.. I compared the pics to my friend's, shot on a Tokina, and I actually thought his shots from his Tokina 28-70f/2.8 zoom was a bit sharper. So while my unhappiness with my 28mm has lessoned, I am still not completely satisfied. I see a few on the list have the Tokina 28mm, anybody have both the Zuiko and the Tokina, and have made a comparison?
When i get a chance to cut and scan them in, I will let you guys know.