[OM] Zuiko 300 4.5

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300 4.5
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:35:44 +1200
Hi Mark,

FWIW, I think part of the secret of using the 300 is to change the way you
*see* your surroundings.

It helps if you are looking over or through landscape / cityscape features.

Try to become aware of pictures that are only a tiny part of what you see at a
 glance.  Find a subject to pick out.

One significant problem, in addition to the easily recognised problems such
as vibration, is atmospheric clarity - or the lack of it. After a while you
become sensitive to the opportunities enabled by the very clear atmosphere
after a storm, etc.

Early morning can be good; the sort of hour students are getting to bed <g>

Clear atmosphere gets messed up by:-

layering of air of different temperatures (bends the light)
mist / diffuse low cloud content
pollution / photochemical problems in industrialised locations.
dust in some rural locations.

For closer shots, take as an example that recent tulip shot John Lind sent
us to, back-lit as I recall.

I looked up the specs of this lens today and to my surprise OM say it has
high refractive index glass and extraordinary partial dispersion glass to
greatly reduce chromatic aberration. Ie better glass than the run-of-the-mill
lenses.

Brian