RE: [OM] Please post FS, WTB, eBay, and similar messages

Subject: RE: [OM] Please post FS, WTB, eBay, and similar messages
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:59:32 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>I guess this list is doomed to repeat this same thread every 6
>months. In the 4 years or so that I've been on the list, we have
>repeatedly established a consensus that buying and selling Olympus
>gear is on-topic and appropriate for the list.
>
>And yet somehow, as soon as the furor dies down, it seems as if
>someone new to the list is raising the battle flag against a seller,
>and we're back at it again.
>
>The wheel's been invented folks. And we have a listowner who could
>bar such posts if he wanted. Is it too much to ask that you just skip
>the messages you're not interested in without imposing your will on
>those of us who do scan the list for price info, new gear, deals, or
>use FS posts to spawn new threads?
>
>BBB
>-
>B.B. Bean                                      bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Barry, No one is advocating for a rule to take away FS posts!

I believe this is the chronology of the latest "furor".

1) New person to the list (Robert B.) posts a FS of a 180/2.
2) Someone takes offense but later retracts it.
3) No one on list apparently buys Robert B's 180/2 so he posts a pointer to
his eBay auction.
4) Robert B. is then told he has broken list etiquette
5) A couple of us wonder how a new person can intuit list etiquette when there
is list traffic that involves pointers to eBay auctions, and one person
suggests that there should not be eBay pointers on list; two additional people
support this view
6) Two to three times as many people posted that they don't support this view

As far as I know, this is not a moderated list. I guess Giles decided to
moderate it just before he threw Oben off it, but I don't think it is
moderated now. Perhaps Thomas will tell us if it is.

In any case, even if it were a moderated list, no one called for a *rule* to
ban eBay discussion, pointers, etc.  The appeal was to alter behavior, and
this is something people can assent to freely or not.  Some did and will and
some clearly won't.  No harm, no foul.

No one is trying to impose his will on you.  If a new person posts a pointer
to his own eBay auction in the future and someone explains that this is bad
behavior in terms of the "consensus" you reference, I will probably spout out
that it may be hard to get a handle on this consensus based on the somewhat
confusing behavior of the list.  I have a right to do this, and you have a
right to disagree. But please don't try to whack me into dutiful silence by an
appeal to "consensus."  That's a shifty standard and one that has no real
meaning unless it is revisited from time to time.

Joel W.