[OM] TTL: not ready for prime time?

Subject: [OM] TTL: not ready for prime time?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:31:23 +1200
Hello Lama,

You said

> I shot a black puppy on a
> white blanket.  The black puppy took up 4/5ths of the
> frame.  I knew that it would have been a "normal"
> scene to a center-weighted meter

> Every single frame (24 in all) is grossly
> underexposed.  (more than 3 stops)  There is no detail
> at all in the black- it's completely clear film base.
> If you're thinking that the scene was high key and the
> white blanket is probably "correctly exposed" as
> neutral grey, it's not.  Even the white bits are pale

I've been trying to think through what the problem[s]  is/are with this
puzzler.
Here's what I come up with.

Firstly, there is too much contrast in the subject for your film to handle it.

Secondly, given the above, you are interested only in the extremes [b & w ],
and nothing in between. That is very unusual. Usually people have some in-
between values of interest.

Thirdly, I *suspect* that on-camera flash (direct light) makes it worse by
exaggerating the already extreme contrast. I think you need either side -light,
diffusion, or both.

Given the results you have so far I would ditch the white blanket and put the
puppy on something with a colour closer to puppy's colour. Black, grey,
something with a texture that will have light and dark. Anything but white or
another light colour.

That would solve the contrast problem.

I would have side-light.

That would enable the texture of the animal's coat to help pick out detail.

I would bracket the shots; fool the system by dialling in 2/3, 1 or more stops
exposure on the camera for the same flash setting - or however you can do
that on your system.

That would also give a more appropriate exposure for the black.

I'll try and find a shot I took of our Schipperke in bright sunlight. This
little guy
is BLACK. At night outside, unless he rolls his eyes or shows his teeth, you
just cannot see him until you feel him. (Ow).  I struck it lucky. His hair is
also very shiny/slippery. And the element of sidelight picked out highlights of
reflection and left the rest.  If you'd like me to post it somewhere give a
yell.

HTH; I'm not a flash expert; just thinking about it out loud.

Brian