Re: [OM] OM 1n with floppy rewind

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 1n with floppy rewind
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:23:57 -0500

> I have recently acquired an OM 1n which has a floppy rewind crank.  Is
this
> an easy fix with loosening the screw and fiddling with the mechanism or
will
> that only prove to be a big mistake as everything self-destructs?  Bill
> Barber

What ever you do, don't touch the screw that you see when flipping up the
rewind crank.  I don't know what it does, but it doesn't disassemble the
crank.  Check the archives, but what you want to do is hold the column that
projects down into the camera and actually rewinds the film while unscrewing
the rewind mechanism (the whole thing) that is outside of the camera.  I
have heard some suggest using a chop-stick to stick in between the slotted
end of the rewind assembly in the camera body, but this could bend the tabs.
I suggest getting a pair of pliers and padding it well.  You should be able
to twist the part of the assembly outside of the camera body with your
finger.  Once you get the two parts separated, you will have to find the
problem.  I had a camera with the same symptoms and only had to reverse the
spring.  It seems someone had (re)assembled it incorrectly at some point.

HTH,
--p.j.