Re: [OM] RE: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale o

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Keep eBay Off List (was "Olympus Zuiko 180mm F2 for sale on Ebay")
From: "Daryl Hurley" <dhurley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:47:50 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "GeoW" <gwsears@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Apparently at some point in time the the list changed from things OM to
things
> Olympus and now to about anything one feels like discussing. I'd like to
see the list
> get back to things OM. It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago that the
list was
> establishes for things OM and not Olympus. Well, I got my nuts thumped on
that
> one. Damn, where are the old heads that have been around the list for a
while.
> Speak up !!

George,

Sorry for the late reply in defense of your nuts.  I was out of town for
about 4 days and had 570+ "OM" list messages to read through to catch up. (I
finally lost count, they kept coming in while I was reading!)  Don't know if
I qualify as a "old head", although I certainly feel like it today....I
signed on the list when it was hosted at some university in one of those
Northern States, Iowa or Ohio?.  (OK, I guess I must be an old head - the
memory doesn't work so good anymore)

At that time the list was strictly OM, don't know that it ever officially
changed, but other things Olympus gradually crept in over the years, some
spun off to their own lists, Olympus pen-rf list, OM for sale list, but the
rest has just "hung around," vastly increasing the volume of posts I have to
sort through.  As for off topic posting there was always a lot of latitude,
though until recently the off topic discussions were not IS/Stylus/Digital
related, but were more esoteric, like SUV's, guns, even religion got in
there at least once, and who could forget Vert and Toky?

As for Ebay and for sale listings, I recall the original agreement, or
perhaps more appropriately it should be called a settlement, was that list
members could offer items for sale to the list first, but proper etiquette
was to include a price.  There were to be no auction type offerings on list,
and no self promotion of ebay or any other auctions on list.  Of course
sharing of "rare" item availability and other seller's "imaginative"
descriptions were always welcome, as was sharing of unsatisfactory
experiences with dealers, ebay or otherwise.

Sorry to hear about your nut thumping George..........

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, KS