Re: [OM] Black dog in the sun

Subject: Re: [OM] Black dog in the sun
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 21:32:20 +1200
Hi Johnny,

Sorry about the size.

I think the coat of these dogs is always like this.

As far as this photo goes; it is a scan of a not-very-smart print. I changed
processor after this one. The printer did the major compensation adjustment,
as they do.

Thinking about *black* in colour photos, and this one is a good illustration,
black is not actually a colour. It is a non-colour which absorbs all visible
radiation. What passes for colour in Roy's coat is reflections of light from
the
very hard-coated hairs. Since it is little-altered sunlight that gets
reflected,
the picture is actually of black (non-light) and reflected sunlight (white
light),
and that yields an image showing textured black.. But, the fact that it is side-
light helped liven up this image that could have been dull.

I think.  Brian