Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:17:14 -0500
> If I were to purchase 1 macro lens, which should it be?  I have never done
> any macro-photography, but think I would like to try.
> I would mainly be using it to photograph insects that frequent my fly
> fishing haunts.

The best place to start is with the 50mm/f3.5.  It's easy to find,
affordable and razor-sharp.  It can also be used as a normal 50mm lens.
Insects are probably best done with the 135mm/f4.5 in combo w/ the 65-116
Telescopic Auto Tube, but you are looking at $400-$500 for that combo vs.
$100-$150 for the 50mm/f3.5.
If you want to go really cheap, get an after-market set of auto extension
tubes ($30).  I say to stay away from the Olympus tubes b/c you will want
the auto tubes which, if acquired individually, can cost nearly as much as a
50mm/f3.5 lens and are much more of a pain to use (extension tubes vs. the
50mm/f3.5 lens, that is).

HTH,
--p.j.

FWIW, Olympus has a top-notch macrophoto system, but assembling all the
parts can be difficult and expensive...right Mark?