Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:32:19 -0500
At 11:41 3/23/02, Paul wrote:

If I were to purchase 1 macro lens, which should it be? I have never done any macro-photography, but think I would like to try.

I would mainly be using it to photograph insects that frequent my fly fishing haunts. Thanks in advance.

Starter for field use:  85/2 plus complete auto extension tube set.

At minimum focus distance on the lens, the OM set (7+14+25 = 56mm) gets you to about 2/3 life-size on film; the Vivitar AT-21 set (12+20+36 = 68mm) should get you to life-size, or very nearly so (~80mm total extension including focus helical). Unless you're doing it for photometric purposes, exact magnification isn't that important and it's exceedingly difficult to achieve with wildlife in the field. The 85mm length allows more stand-off than a 50mm does. Aside from startling wildlife getting too close, there's also a light issue getting too close with too short a focal length.

Overshadowed by the 90/2 Macro and 100/2 Telephoto, the 85/2 is a forgotten length among the Zuiko's, very compact including a 49mm filter ring, and can be found more often at much lower prices. The AT-21 set is very inexpensive used; less than the price of a single OM auto-tube.

The tubes are expansible with macro work. Use them with your standard 50mm and later add a 135/2.8 (also a forgotten Zuiko found more often at lower prices) for varying stand-off distances and maximum magnifications.

Notes about using 135's with tubes:
IMO the 135/2.8 is a better companion with extension tubes than the 2/3-stop slower 135/3.5 due to the overall light falloff that occurs with macro extensions. Not that one would shoot wide open; normally never in the field. It's the noticeably brighter viewfinder with the faster lens that helps set critical focus much easier.

-- John