Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:40:43 -0800 (PST)
Another thing you could try is just getting the 65-116
auto extension tube and using a regular long lens with
it (i.e a 100-300mm lens) from looking through the
viewfinder at full extension and a 300/4.5 Zuiko
produces an astoundingly large magnification with good
center sharpness. Edge sharpness does seem to suffer
from the curving of the lens though at that
magnification. (i.e. its not designed for flat field
reproduction). Certain 500mm mirrors also offer a good
close focus reproduction sometimes up to 1:4 lifesize.
That said the 50/3.5 macro is the best lens if you
want a dedicated macro lens and don't expect to be
doing much or don't wish to spend too much.

Be warned though, macrophotography is quite addictive
(especially if you have any sort of public or
semi-public conservatory around.) It's been totally
gloomy up here in Rochester, NY but they have a
wonderful conservatory full of flowers and rare plants
that have been totally fun to photograph.
I've burned 6 rolls of film in the past 4 days when
its been month's since I've shot a whole roll
outdoors. Macrophotography is an all weather, all
conditions sort of photography cause it focuses on
little things that aren't as affected by the weather.
Im kind of rediscovering my photography after a slump
due to this ultra cruddy lake effect gloomyness that
hangs over the city for the whole of winter.

There are also other ways of achieving
macrophotography without shelling out for a Zuiko
macro (although they can be a bit more
inconveniencing.) The set of extension tubes is one
way, it's pretty cheap and can add a lot of extension
to a normal lens. That said tubes can be a pain in the
ass if you feel the need to constantly switch and a
normal lens doesnt have the huge range of motion a
macro lens does so you are more limited in your
focusing. The 65-116 tube is an answer to this, but it
gives a much larger amount of magnification even fully
collapsed and I'm not sure you may want or need that.

Diopter lenses are another option, I personally
haven't used diopter since I've always had access to a
dedicated macro, but I hear they can be quite useful.
Be wary though cause diopters are like filters and can
be very bad like filters, they also put more glass in
the picture and can create flare like filters. A good
set of dioppters from makers like Hoya can run $40 or
more, and better brands naturally cost more. Be wary
of noname brands.

A third option is a reversing ring. Again I've never
used one but I hear they are pretty effective. However
be careful as you will now be baring the rear element
of the lens to damage which is much more critical than
a front element or filter ring being damaged.

Fianlly you have aftermarket macros like the Tokina,
Tamron, and Vivtar lenses. These lenses can be quite
sharp and are good for macro at a lot less than the
more expensive Zuikos. The problem with them is that
they are a whole lot heavier and (at least for the
Tamron) a whole lot clunkier. I used to own a Tamron
90mm and even though it took good pics from a support
it just never felt right handheld and my pics suffered
becuase I didn't like the way the lens handled. Of
course this is all IMHO about this lens though. I
can't say anything bout the tokina or vivitar. Also
all of these lenses are at least 2/3-1 stop faster
than the best offered by Olympus, but that only really
matters in low light, they also can be pretty scarce
to find in OM mount (I haven't seen one for weeks) but
that only really matters in low light.

pricewise here are is the rundown of costs for various
options...

$20-60. Diopters and extension tubes and reversing
rings

100-150. 50/3.5 macro, 65-116 auto extension tube.

150-250. Off brand 90/100mm macro lenses.

230-300. 80/4 auto macro (for 65-116 tube only...)

300-500 (and sometimes higher) 50/2 macro, [135/4.5
macro, 20/2 macro, 38/2.8 macro for bellows or tube
only] Be careful of the 20 and 38 cause they are VERY
high magnification and tripod only really with
unmoving subjects.

500-800. 90/2 macro

Again if you are serious and want to get the best bang
for your buck the 50/3.5 is the starter lens. My
favorite lens out of all the macros so far that I've
used is the 50/2 macro though. Hope I've been some
help. These prices are totally unofficial by what I've
observed off of Ebay.

Mark Lloyd