Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Macro lens to own?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 21:16:27 -0500
At 04:12 PM 3/23/02 -0800, dreammoose wrote:

Another interesting solution is the Macro Focusing Teleconverter. They were marketed by Vivitar, Soligor, Tamron and others. Most of them look identical and probably are. A list member has suggested that the Tamron may be different. In any case, they convert a lens to twice it's focal length at 2 stops less speed like regular converters, but they add an additional helical focusing mechanism for focusing closer. A standard 50mm lens that focuses to about 18in. becomes a 100mm (f1.4=>f2.8, f1.8=>f3.6) lens that focuses to 1:1.

Hi DM,

Here's a picture of a trout lily that I shot last week with the 50mm, f1.8 and a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter -

http://home.attbi.com/~jjohnso4/Temp/troutlilly.jpg

I think the image sharpness is acceptable with this combination but the bokeh isn't nearly as pleasing (to me) as what I get with the Kiron 105mm. I was thinking of replacing the Kiron in my kit with the teleconverter since I always carry the 50mm anyway but I think I've changed my mind again, for about the 10th time. I'm back to carrying the Kiron in my pack unless I really want to cut down on the weight for some reason - like a several day trip by plane where the primary subjects will be other than macros.

Later,
Johnny